Preparing for study abroad

If you are planning to study or complete training in another EU country, you need to present your qualifications (a degree, diploma or proof of vocational training) to an education and training institution. This check-list of tips and information can help you get your qualification recognised and study abroad.

Enthusiastic young woman sitting on the floor next to a suitcase and typing on a laptop

Check the information

When you search for a course make sure you check the information on tuition fees; the length of studies; the application process; and the recognition of your studies abroad. 

If you are going on a student exchange to an institution in another country, make sure you get clear information from both your home institution and host institution on the courses, grades and exams involved.

Get information on recognition of qualifications

If you need more information, contact the ENIC-NARIC centre in the relevant country. ENIC-NARIC centres offer evaluations and advice on the recognition of foreign qualifications, which can help you explain your qualifications to education and training institutions.

You can include information on the level of your qualification in your Europass CV and in your application documents to help people understand your qualification better. Your education institution might be able to provide you with more information on your qualifications.

Check and compare qualification levels 

Check the level of your qualification on the national qualifications framework in your country. Many countries have a national qualification framework, which maps out the different types of qualifications in the national education system. You can also check the corresponding level of your qualification on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF). The EQF helps to compare qualifications systems in Europe.


Prepare relevant documents

Get all your documents in order. Make sure you have easy access to your diplomas, transcripts and translations to share with the education and training institution you are applying to. Did you know that you can store all your digital documents in your Europass library?

  • If you have a higher education qualification, you can request a Diploma Supplement from the institution where you studied, which includes information on your qualification.
  • If you have a vocational qualification, you can get a Europass Certificate Supplement from the institution where you studied, which includes information on your qualification.